JOHN E. MCGARRY, MD
Born and raised in Dallas, Dr. McGarry received his undergraduate education at Texas A&M University. He earned his M.D. from the University of Texas Medical Center at Houston and completed his residency at UT Southwestern Medical Center in Dallas. His training culminated with a fellowship in sports medicine.
Dr. McGarry became interested in sports medicine after sustaining a knee injury prior to beginning medical school. “I understand the frustration and pain associated with an orthopedic injury. I receive great satisfaction from helping my patients get back to whatever activities they enjoy, whether those are highly competitive athletics or the occasional hike.”
Dr. McGarry specializes in arthroscopy of the shoulder and knee, joint replacement, and general orthopedics. He utilizes minimally invasive techniques such as arthroscopic rotator cuff repair, arthroscopic ACL reconstruction, and quadriceps sparing total knee replacements. He is also highly experienced in general fracture care.
He is a lifelong Dallas Cowboys fan and enjoys movies, reading novels, traveling and exercising. He also enjoys the occasional golf and tennis game. Dr. McGarry recently added surfing to his list of activities.
Office Contact Information
Plano Orthopedic and Sports Medicine Center
5228 West Plano Parkway
Plano, TX 75093
Areas of Interests
- Arthroscopy of the shoulder and knee, joint replacement, and general orthopedics
- Diplomate Eligible by the American Board of Orthopedic Surgery
- Undergraduate – Texas A&M University
- Medical School – University of Texas at Houston Medical Center
- Internship – University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Parkland Memorial Hospital/General Surgery
- Residency – University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Parkland Memorial Hospital/Orthopedic Surgery.
- Fellowship – Plano Orthopedics and Sports Medicine, Plano, Texas
Affiliations & Memberships